Innovative aspect of the project & particular research interest:
- To Provide a complete interactive environment for room simulation with a library of dry sounds and musical excerpts. Catalogue of real spaces, that have been measured for that purpose, and of basic shapes that have been selected for pedagogical purposes. A model of spherical resonator has been specifically developed.
- Many projects demonstrate room-acoustics but the AML has a unique and an in-depth approach that allows to experience and learn by listening.
Particular skills and resources necessary to realise the project:
- Real-time sound-processing systems, psychoacoustics, room-acoustics, interface design.
Reaction to & evaluation of the project:
- A great number of persons learnt something new about room-acoustics, even experienced people such as composers and computer music specialists. That was the first time that they had a system devoted to experiencing the relation between sounds and performance space. Some composers spent hours playing with the installation.
Expansions, updates & follow-up projects:
- Müller-Tomfelde had developped low-latency-convolution schemes to process and select the measured impulse responses. In the following years he will apply this technique in a number of projects on audible presentations.
- The specially developed model for the basic shape was developed further.
- The possibility to identify a room by listening to sounds was the starting point of the EU-Project Sound Object (www.soundobject.org).
- Jean-Marc Jot, Efficient models for reverberation and distance rendering in computer music and virtual audio reality. In: ICMC Proc. 1997, pp. 113-120
- Pierre Dutilleux. Filters, Delays, Modulations and Demodulations: A Tutorial. In: Proc. DFX98. Digital Audio Effects Workshop, IUA-UPF, Barcelona, November 19-21, 1998. pp. 4-11
- Christian Müller-Tomfelde, Low-latency convolution for real-time applications. In: Proc. of the 16th AES Int. Conf. on Spatial Sound Reproduction, Rovaniemi 10-12 April 1999
- Davide Rocchesso, Pierre Dutilleux, Generalization of a 3-D Acoustic ResonatorModel for the Simulation of Spherical Enclosures, In: EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing. March 2001 No. 1, pp. 15-26